Skip to main content

Do you have to be a USC or permanent resident to apply for student loan from the government? or any private student loan ?

Minneapolis, MN |

I have a conditional green card and my brother on F1 visa, we have some financial problems right now, are we qualified for any kind of government financial aids or even private student loan..for school ? whats the right way to do it ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Yes, you need to be a USC or permanent resident to qualify for government student aid, and F-1 students do not qualify for federal loans. Your brother may be able to qualify for a private loan, but many U.S. banks only loan to people with a U.S. credit history. - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.


Government, "Yes". Private, depends on the person or entity providing the loan.


Ms. Mulder is correct ... private schools can do whatever they want with their private money.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer