Skip to main content

Do you have to attend court in the same jurisprudence area you are cited at?

Pomona, CA |

I was cited for failure to stop to an emergency vehicle, failure to obey traffic sign, and running red light by one of those dark black detective cars who actually thought I stole the car so he kept following me until he decided to stop me and gave me those citations. That happened in Pomona, CA but he is from a different town and so citation states that I have to appear in court at West Covina. My question is: is there a law or rule that bans this making this a citation error? Or it doesn't matter where I am cited, and the cop can dictate where I have to go to court? Thank you!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Pomona and West Covina are in the same judicial district in Los Angeles County.


West Covina now handles all of Pomona tickets. Get an attorney for this matter. These are serious violations.

Andrew Roberts
(818) 597-0633

Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777


From my experience, if I were in your situation, then I would prefer West Covina judges over Pomona judges. As answered by others, it is the same jurisdiction. Good luck.
for Fairness / for Your Freedom
(800) 409-7010

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.


Unless you ask to be assigned to the county seat when cited you must respond to the court identified on your ticket. I suggest hitig a traffic ticket attorney to help deal with these tickets. 856-349-2849 is our toll free line.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer