Skip to main content

Do you have the right to know if your being investigated by the police, state police or federal agency?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

If you believe that your privacy has been invaded, included by wire tapping, computer hacking, voice recordings (in your home) and maybe even video.......and you have NOT committed any crimes of significance matter that would prompt such attention on you.... what is the proper legal protocol to find out and confirm it is not local police, state police or federal authorities. Also what if this "so called" investigation has been going on for several years. is there a certain time limit in which an investigation can go on without notifying infringement on someone's privacy. Can i mail a letter to the each authority requesting that any investigations on me be disclosed. I would prefer to be interrogated or whatever else. Is this worth hiring an attorney to verify?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

You do not have a right to know if you are being investigated for a crime. It is unlikely that such an investigation would go on for years without charges being brought, the police do not have the time and money for such things. Also, if you are talking about wire tapping, computers, etc., even if the police obtained a warrant for such a search, they are not unlimited. I can't imagine a warrant going on for years.

Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship


No, there is no right to know if you are being investigated for a criminal offense.

If you are not a member of a criminal organization and you believe you have been under surveillance for the past several years, chances are you suffer from a mental health illness and should seek out treatment.



keep working hard sir your doing a great job. grumpy


No, you have no right to know about open criminal investigations proceeding against you. However, you can make a public records request to find out about past cases if enough time has passed it may be disclosed. You'd have to make a request with each agency. It is unlikely that you will discover anything however.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer