Skip to main content

Do we need a lawyer to file for divorce?

Chicago, IL |

My husband and I are wanting to divorce. We have no children, and our only assets are our cars, which we have already decided to spilt. Do we need to get lawyers in order to file for divorce?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You can try to draft the paperwork yourselves. In Lake County there is a fantastic self help desk in the law library at the courthouse. If that is not going to work for you there are several attorneys who offer a flat rate for an agreed divorce which would allow you to get all the paperwork done just right without needing to spend a ton of money.

This comment is being left for informational purposes only and based solely on the information provided in the question. This comment does NOT create an attorney - client relationship. An attorney should be contact directly and given the full details of the specific circumstances in order to be best able to assist in the issues at hand.


You do not need to have an attorney but you also don't need a plumber and get all the tools from Home Depot. If you want it done correctly and want the assurance that it's done correctly, hire an attorney. Many attorneys will handle a case such as this (where parties agree on all issues) on a flat rate basis. And cars are not necessarily assets they could be debts that need to be equitably divided. Speak to an attorney for a consult. It wouldn't hurt.

Communication with an attorney does not by itself create an attorney/client relationship or constitute provision or receipt of legal advice. Any communication with an attorney should be considered informational use only, and should not be relied upon or acted upon until a formal attorney/client relationship is established via a written agreement.


If either or both of you are working, you may have another asset you are not considering that even if you each keep your own, it can require appropriate wording. Do either of you have pension. If so, especially if there is going to be a division to equalize the the property or, if there are joint debts, it would be a good idea to have an attorney.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.


no, get the forms, fill them out correctly, set the court dates, testify, do a judgment, have it signed by the judge. done.