Skip to main content

Do we have any recourse from our title company or Homeowners association.

Spring Valley, CA |

We purchased our house in 1999 from a builder/developer . Aug 2012 it was determined our house was not built within our property lines approx. 1/3 of our house was built on HOA land which made our house unmarketable. Our original title company and the HOA agreed that the HOA will receive approx $20,000.00. We "the victims" are out atty fees and only getting a clear title which we thought we had when we purchased the house.. We requested that the title co and/or HOA pay something but the HOA and Title co don't feel they are responsible for any expenses that we have incurred. Now the HOA will not sign any property line adjustments until we agree not to sue them or release all their responsibility,. Should we sign or fight for what was/is rightfully ours? Do we have recourse?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I don't see the title company having any liability, unless you purchased a ALTA owner's policy. A CLTA policy only insures against defects in the title as shown by public records. Off-record matters affecting title are excluded from coverage in a CLTA policy.

I don't know where you are at in the process, since you mention attorney's fees, but it sounds as if a lawsuit against the developer/ HOA, and maybe a claim with the title company are in order, depending on the policy. Your case would have to be reviewed by an attorney.

DISCLAIMER The materials appearing on this website are provided for informational use only, and are in no way intended to constitute legal advice. Transmission or receipt of any information from this, or any, website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and you should not act or rely upon any information appearing on this website without seeking the advice of an attorney. The law is constantly changing, the materials appearing on this website are not guaranteed to be up-to-date. The application of law is dependent on the facts of each case, and no two cases are ever similar. It is important that users of this site realize that it is risky to assume that their case is identical to someone else's, without consulting with an attorney.


You should consult an attorney to review all the documents and try to negotiate either a lot line adjustment or an easement.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.


More than a year later, you still haven't filed a claim with your Title Company or initiated a lawsuit?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer