Do u have to tell your probation officer before your getting married?

Missoula, MT |

Does ur probation Officer have to know about u getting married before you actually do and if so what are the consequences of not?

Not unless the court ordered you to do so as a term and condition of your probation! I guess I have to ask -- why would you not tell him or her? To be sure, check with your criminal defense attorney in Montana!!

Good luck!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

I am not aware of any restrictions to marriage while being on probation or any standing obligation to inform your PO, yet to truly clarify the issue consult with your counsel of record who has a copy of your probation order.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

You do if your probation order says so. You should keep in mind that getting married doesn't give you the right to do something that would otherwise be a violation. For example, if the order requires that you get permission to leave the state, then you need permission to leave the state even if it is for your wedding.

I assume that you're checking in with your probation officer on a regular basis. Is there any particular reason why you wouldn't want to tell him?

For a consultation, e-mail adam@fw-pc.com to set up an appointment. This answer is provided based on limited facts and does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor should it be relied on as legal advice. It is only a generalized, cursory examination and is not a substitute for retaining a licensed attorney.

This question has been asked several times--same person? I have commented on those as well. There are two things going on: (1) what the order requires, and (2) whether the order is constitutional. If the order requires you to report to the officer your intent to get married, then you should because the officer needs to know what is going on in your personal life that may affect the probation. The same goes for a post-marriage situation; that is, if you got married, you should report your marriage to the officer.

As to the other issue, if the concern is whether or not you can get married while on probation, then that order is arguably unconstitutional and may need to be challenged on constitutional grounds.

Bottom line: when you make decisions in your life that change your circumstances, you should report to your probation officer. If the concern is whether you can actually get married, that is another matter altogether. www.lernerlawmt.com.