Skip to main content

Do they run the numbers for child support saying u have a 40 hr full time job, even if you dont.

Waldorf, MD |

I have a part time job, and the woman at the state attorney office said they have to run it as i have a full time job because i have the ability to have one.

+ Read More

Filed under: Child support
Attorney answers 1


If you are able-bodied and can work, then normally the courts will impute to the parent at least minimum wage at 40 hours per week because everyone should be able to get a minimum hour wage. There are many fast food restaurants and many other establishments which will pay minimum wage. The courts absolutely expect parents to work and support their children. If the parent quit a good paying job apparently for the purpose of denying the other parent the appropriate child support, then the court can impute to that parent the same income which that parent gave up by quitting the job. So the solution is to work full time.

This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, does NOT establish Attorney/Client Relationship because you have not retained me and because you have not provided me with a COMPLETE set of all the FACTS in your legal situation. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. This answer is merely provided to assist you in beginning your own research or in finding an attorney to represent you. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California. A Consultation, Retainer and a fully signed and dated Legal Services Agreement (a contract) will be required if you would like to obtain my representation. Office: (410) 381-1656. David Mahood, Esq.