Skip to main content

Do they have to take child support out of my check?

Minneapolis, MN |

Ive been making voluntary payments since july 2013. Now child support is established. I owe 900 to the mother and 1000 to the county.. Am i able to continue to write checks to the payment center or do they have to take it out of my check due to being behind? id like to start the process of getting a homeloan and i dont want child support deductions showing on my check keeping me from possibly getting approved.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

It is automatically taken by income withholding unless both parents opt out of income withholding. Child support should not affect your credit or qualifying for a home loan.

Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter.


I am not sure how it is that such a change would affect a loan application since you would presumably be disclosing the proper information regardless. As to your question generally, at times parents agree that they want payments to be made directly to the other parent.

MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL and outlying areas to ST CLOUD. Do seek legal counsel for your personal legal issues and needs. This post is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This post is to be considered general information which may or may not apply to your personal situation.


I agree with counsel. The amount owed should be disclosed during the loan application process. I'm not sure that the method you're paying it off should make any difference.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer