Do they give oath same day of interview or will arrange after the interview if change of name ( adding my husband last) request

Charlotte, NC |

In case of my "change of name" in citizenship interview. Do they normally do the oath later. or they do same day of interview. My friend got oath same day of interview. But I am changing (adding last name of my husband) in the applicaton of citizen ship.

It depends on the particular jurisdiction but my experience has always been oath is always done several weeks after the interview. Note that you are required to fill out and complete an additional form which is usually provided to you on the back of your notice of oath ceremony, to update the agency about any potential changes between the date of interview and date of oath. Remember to fill that out but do not sign until you are at the oath ceremony and are directed to do so by the officer.

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication.

Each immigration office is different but most do the oath several weeks after the interview.

If you asked for a 'name change' on your Form N-400, your oath ceremony will be delayed and scheduled for a court appearance in front of a judge.

The comments made on this site by Brenman Law Firm, PLLC of Chapel Hill, North Carolina are not legal advice. This information is provided as a public service and is intended as general guidance only. We require an initial consultation and a signed retainer agreement before we represent our clients.