Skip to main content

Do papa/mummy need to have valid Indian passport during the US citizenship process?

Monmouth Junction, NJ |

I and my parents will apply for US citizenship in April 2013. On an average it takes about 4-5 months to get US Citizenship if we pass all Citizenship exams.After that we can apply for US passport which is about 1 month worth process. But my parents indian passport expires in september 2013.So the questions are:1)Do parents need to have valid Indian passport during the US citizenship process? 2)What if their passport is expired prior to issuance of US passport? Could this be a problem?3) If it is mandatory to have a valid Indian passport during US citizenship process should we renew parents passport before apply for their citizenships? How about we renew their Indian passports while the US citizenship is under process?4)What is the process to renew Indian Passport in US?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Only if they are travelling.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


No, they do not.

Having a valid foreign passport (or having any passport at all) is not at all "mandatory" for the naturalization process. They can always apply for US passports as soon as they naturalize (and of course also renew their Indian passports, if they so wish..)

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


No, if they are going to stay in the US all the time.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


I agree they will not need their passport renewed unless they plan to travel outside of the US.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer