Skip to main content

Do not want to renew tenants lease — do I need list reason to evict?

El Dorado Hills, CA |

Tenant has been in the property for 6 months. They want to renew the lease. I would like them to move out.
Reasons: They discount rent with “improvements” and “upgrades”, promise to send the receipts but never do. They direct deposit the rent, minus the improvements into my bank account, so I cannot refuse payment. Neighbors are complaining about condition of property, noise and barking dogs. Furthermore they hired their uncle, a contractor to complete a house project, which they discounted off rent. Two months later it is not finished and neighbor has told me that tenant is actually doing the work, not a contractor. There have been many lies and manipulations and they have changed the locks. We need to part ways. Not sure how to list this as grounds for eviction. Do i need to list reason?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You need to provide written notice that you do not intend to extend the lease agreement. Make sure you comply with any notice provision in your lease agreement. No reason is required for non-renewal, unless your lease requires a reason. Contact your bank to determine how you can insure that they do not direct deposit to your account after the end of the lease. .

This response is not legal advice and is based solely on the limited information provided. You should contact an attorney or the Bar Association to get additional information and representation. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship.


No, you have no legal obligation to provide any reason whatsoever. You have no obligation to renew the lease. Even if the tenancy continued on as a month-to-month periodic tenancy, you do not have to provide a reason if and when you serve a 30-day notice of termination.

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author (who is only admitted to practice law in the State of California). For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.