Skip to main content

Do minors have rights?

Lynnwood, WA |

My 16.5 year old daughter has in effect run away from home to live with me, now with the courts 30 day agreement. She does not want to have to visit her mom anymore. At school she was told she could seek representation as a minor to seek from the court that right, or restriction from being required/forced to see her mom. All her mom does is put her down and fight, then blame her. What to do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Without a more complete description of the facts and a chance to review the documents that have been filed, it is difficult to make a recommendation. However, it sounds like you may want to petition the court for a modification of the parenting plan and ask the court to appoint a guardian ad litem. The GAL will make a recommendation to the court on whether or not your daughters visitation with her mother is in her best interest.



wow, another $3-5K minimum to here an intelligent minor and an manipulative adult. Truly, how can this be in the child's best interest. We have one messed up and broken system... money, money, money.


File a Petition to modify the PP -- a child may never choose where she wants to live, so you will need a Guardian ad Litem appointed so that he child can express where wishes to the GAL who then reports to the court.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements


The school officials may have been talking about emancipation. But she has to be able to show that she can support herself to get emancipated.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer