Skip to main content

Do immigration officers at the local immigration offices have authority to make an amendment in the petition at the interview?

Phoenix, AZ |

In my case converting joint I-751 to a waiver due to divorce. And can they still approve it at the same interview with sufficient evidence of good faith marriage?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You probably will have to refile but i would disclose it at the interview and provide a copy of hte decree and proof the marriage was in good faith.


I suspect that you would need to re-file the petition on your own. However, you should raise it at the interview if you are called for one. If you have additional questions, you can always contact an immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


It depends on what the amendment is. In your case, a new filing will most likely be required.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


In most cases, an Officer will make corrections to bring the application up to date. He/ she is unlikely to allow you to seek a waiver at the interview. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney for guidance on how to proceed.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.