Skip to main content

Do I still have to pay child support if I can get my son on SSI disability?

Los Angeles, CA |

I have a 12yr. old son with autism. His dad put the both of them on county aid. As a result from that, I am now ordered to pay child support. If I can get my boy on SSI disability for children, would I still be required to pay child support? Am I also going to have to pay back his SSI? I only work about 12 hrs. a week. the rest of the time I am with him

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If the disability payments are being received from the Federal Government (social security disability, VA benefits, etc.) because of the non-custodial parent's disability, they are deducted from the non-custodial parent's support obligation. However, it appears that your child and his father are receiving support from the State. In that case, the State requires you to pay support in order to reimburse the State for the benefits.

This communication is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney/client relationship. You must have a valid attorney/client agreement with this law firm before any attorney/client relationship exists. Please do not send any confidential information in any communication unless and until an attorney/client agreement has been agreed to in writing.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer