Skip to main content

Do I really need to notify Pat & Felix (opposing counsel) if I contest a tentative court ruling?

San Jose, CA |

I have been reading up on tentative rulings from Santa Clara County Superior Court. Their website states that I must notify the court and opposing party that I am contesting the ruling. Do I simply call them and let them know? What if the message "gets lost" and they say I didn't inform them I was contesting?

+ Read More

Filed under: Court basics
Attorney answers 3


Yes you do have to notify opposing counsel if you wish oral argument on a tentative ruling. When you call them, get the person's name tat you informed and show up to court. That is all that is required of you.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


Yes. If you are concerned why don’t you put it on speaker phone and have witnesses who hear you give the notification and then they could sign declarations under penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of California that they heard you give opposing counsel notification of your opposition at such and such a time.

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.


you need to properly notify the court and opposing counsel in a timely fashion in order to contest a tenative ruling. You really should hire a lawyer to protect your rights. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer