Skip to main content

Do I really need a lawyer to draw up partnership agreements and form an LLC?

Astoria, NY |

What is a range for fees for services like this? Is it really worth the difference in cost as opposed to going through Blumberg Excelsior, or similar?

The situation is 2 people interested in partnering to open a cafe.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


If you want it done right you do. Forms are fine if you know what you're doing but in the hands of someone who is unfamiliar with the law, they can lead to problems. Typical fees to have it done right range anywhere from $750 to $1,500


Need? No.

Best Option? Yes.

Not a good idea to start your business by cutting corners with the foundational documents. FYI, cafes are notoriously difficult to make a success, hopefully you will not be in that situation, but if it were to happen, you definitely do not want your partnership agreement to be an on-line generic version.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I give a 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.


I don't kow the fees because this is not my area but you certainly want a lawyer who deals in restaurant partnerships to do it because there are so many things that should go into an agreement that you won't think to put in and if the relationship goes sour you will wish they were in the agreement. A pre-printed form can't cover everything.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Forms are forms, it is the advice that comes with the forms that you are paying for when you choose a lawyer. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.


It certainly is, as you and your business partner have to figure out who gets what (units, distributions, etc), who controls corporate affairs and how corporate actions are handled in general. The drill of having an attorney draft an operating agreement is to flush out the potential issues before they arise, and the issues always arise.

Happy to assist.

The foregoing is not legal advice nor is it in any manner whatsoever meant to create or impute an attorney/client relationship.


You really do get what you pay for. I suggest retaining an attorney.

PLEASE NOTE: This response is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship, nor is it legal advice. Please consult an attorney for legal advice particular to the circumstances of your situation.


Would you want lawyers cooking in your cafe? You hire a lawyer to avoid disputes down the road. Pay less now to avoid a dispute or more later to settle one. Range of fees would be anywhere from $1,000 to $5,000 depending on the quality of the attorney. Government fees around $250 and then to publish the LLC in Queens is around $700.

Please note that this answer is not intended to serve as legal advice for any purpose. All legal advice rendered by Kurzon LLP is done pursuant to a validly executed engagement letter signed by a partner of the firm. Neither receipt of information presented on this site nor any email or other electronic communication sent to Kurzon LLP or its lawyers through this website will create an attorney-client relationship. As well, no such email or communication will be treated as confidential except as is required by law. No user of this website should act or refrain from acting on the basis of information on this site without seeking legal advice from counsel in the relevant jurisdiction. Kurzon LLP expressly disclaims liability with respect to actions taken or not taken based on the contents of this website. Under the New York Rules of Professional Conduct, Section 7.1, portions of this website may be considered attorney advertising. ============================================================================== IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: U.S. federal tax advice in the foregoing message from Kurzon LLP is not intended or written to be, and cannot be used, by any person for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed regarding the transactions or matters addressed. Some of that advice may have been written to support the promotion or marketing of the transactions or matters addressed within the meaning of IRS Circular 230, in which case you should seek advice based on your particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor. ==============================================================================