Do I really need a attorney for a misdemeanor battery ??

Algonquin, IL |

There is no proof this security guard says I bit him while he was unnecessarily trying to restrain me there is no evidence of a bite mark ! What do I do I cannot afford a attorney ),;

Best Answer

The witness can testify that you bit him. That is the evidence. The witness' demeanor and credibility will strengthen or weaken the case, but that is the proof the prosecution needs. This might be a he said-he said case, but do not rely on the argument that there is no proof. You need a lawyer. You are fortunate you were only charged with misdemeanor battery if the allegation is that you but the security guard. It could have been worse. On the first court date, ask for a public defender.

Thank you

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

You are welcome.

Yes you need an attorney to represent you. If you cannot afford private counsel, ask the judge at your first court appearance to appoint you a public defender, if you qualify. The security guards testimony that you bit him = proof! Get an attorney.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

The security guards testimony is evidence. Yes, you need an attorney. Many people assume they cannot afford an attorney but are surprised to find reasonable fees and payment plans once they start calling around.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

The fact that you do not even realize that the security guard's evidence standing alone would be, and very easily could be, sufficient to convict you should demonstrate to you that you need a lawyer. Are you also aware that this case could give you a criminal record that would follow you for the rest of your life? A conviction in Illinois, even for a misdemeanor, can never be expunged. A conviction for battery can never be sealed, either. Wake up and take this seriously.

I do not understand why someone would even ask this question. Honestly, if one needs surgery, does one perform surgery on oneself? No, when one needs to defend in court, one had better hire an attorney, or else one pays for it with unknown consequences.

Any information provided is meant merely as a courtesy in providing general legal information, and should, under no circumstances, be construed as individual legal advice directed to the person asking the question(s) directed to me.

Because this is ridiculous I was brought on On the word of a 26 year old spoiled brat that didn't get what he wanted so for payback called in a wellness check giving the police false information I was out running errands when I found out the police had been at my house drove straight there to work this out ... Not going to happen ambulance was already waiting to take me away 30 seconds after i arrrived there, stayed completely calm until every right I have as a human being had been taken from me ):

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Ridiculous or not, you need a lawyer. You are clueless as to consequences.

Yes, you need an experienced criminal defense attorney.

Of course every answer is based on the question asked and requires a more complete context. This answer should not be relied upon to make a legal decision. Seek the advice of an experienced attorney before acting. www.waaltd.com