Skip to main content

Do I need to take with me an immigration attorney to my citizenship interview?

Greensboro, NC |

I get an interview for my citizenship on March 10th, In last December police caught me drinking and driving with 0.13 (DWI), I got a criminal lawyer for my case and he told me it will take a long time to be resolved by the judge at court. I don't really know if I may presenting by myself to this interview or I have to get an immigration attorney with me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


I strongly suggest you at least consult with an experienced immigration attorney. You will have difficulty getting your NATZ granted.


You should immediately consult with an immigration lawyer in your area about this. You cannot be granted citizenship if under any type of probation, which you will likely be under, am afraid, unless the case and charges can be dismissed.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with the previous answer and add that the immigration officer will review all criminal matters, especially those during the past five years. If your DWI matter is not resolved (dismissed) before your naturalization interview, I do not believe you will be approved. You should consult with an experienced attorney to determine your best option now.

The comments made on this site by Brenman Law Firm, PLLC of Chapel Hill, North Carolina are not legal advice. This information is provided as a public service and is intended as general guidance only. We require an initial consultation and a signed retainer agreement before we represent our clients.


Most likely CIS will not grant your N400 as there is a pending criminal matter during the good moral character period. That said, you do want to present yourself appropriately regarding this matter. You may want to consider withdrawing the application without prejudice to future filings. I would definitely retain counsel to review everything.


I agree with my colleagues. You should certainly hire an attorney to attend the interview with you. Or you may withdraw your application.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer