Skip to main content

Do i need to submit a police &/or a military report to the USCIS when applying for my green card?

Baltimore, MD |

i am currently residing in the states and about to submit all the relevant forms as it relates to me getting my green card. I am now wondering if it is necessary for me to submit a a police and a military record to the USCIS from my country of birth. I have served in the military for a few years before i came to the states. As for the police record ; i don't have one. Please advise me on this matter. Thanks in advance !

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

No. Only if USCIS specifically requests them.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Are you applying for adjustment of status? If so, unless you have a criminal record, you do not need to provide a police report. However, you may be required to provide the military report having served in the military.

Husna Alikhan, Esq., TEL: 702-374-6619. Nothing in this response to your posting on AVVO is intended or should be considered as legal advice to your specific situation. Our posting is intended to provide general information of interest to the public. Facts relevant to your situation and not disclosed in your posting may affect your specific legal rights and remedies.



Thanks for the advice!


No. When applying for adjustment of status in the US you do NOT need to submit anything else than a copy of your birth certificate and translation, marriage certificate and only if you have been arrested before, copy of your case's final disposition.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.