Skip to main content

Do I need to serve every 18 yr old or older a summon and complaint/unlawful detainer? I named every adult in the complaint.

Santa Clara, CA |

Is it best to use a process server or a just have a friend serve each of my tenants? May I please get a recommentdation of process server here in Santa Clara? Cheap if not free but great service.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

You need to serve them all. If you cannot serve them individually, you can serve them by substituted service.

The problems with having friends serve them is that they may not know the protocol and that they have not developed a reputation with the courts. For the cheapest service, try the sheriff.



Thank you


If you find a process server who is free and provides great service, we all hope you will share. None of us have ever seen anything of the kind.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.



thank you. I will keep you posted.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer