Skip to main content

Do I need to send last 5 years tax return transcript with my naturalization form? I was out of us for mora than 6 month.

Rochester, MN |

I am having green card for 9 years. lived in us for 4 years and 5 month continuously then went back to my country. stated there for more than 6 month. now i am in us for 4 years contiously.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You only need to take them with you to the interview. Sometimes the officers ask, sometimes not.


No, you need to send only last year of your tax return. you would have to explain to teh officer why you stayed outside of teh U.S. for more than six months. If it was only one time, four years ago, I do not think it will be a problem.

Good luck

Elkhalil Law Firm, LLC
Hassan Elkhalil
(770) 612-3499

Disclaimer: This answer is for informational and educational use only. This answer does not create attorney-client relationship. For more details, I recommend a private consultation with an immigration lawyer.


You should be prepared for the naturalization interview. Make sure you have your tax returns and tax return transcripts for the last five years. USCIS requests your transcripts to make sure that you have filed on time and to make sure that you don't have any unpaid tax obligations. If you don't have this information at the interview, it could delay the naturalization process.

Be sure that you know the exact dates that you were not in the United States as you may be questioned about your absence.

Good Luck.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Response is for informational purposes only. Time is of the essence. Do not delay. See a lawyer immediately.



J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I agree with Barbara. You should at least have them for the interview, as you never know what the officer may request.

It is better to come prepared for anything then to delay the decision because you did not bring documents that the officer wanted to see.

Good luck.

Marc Taylor, Esq.