Skip to main content

Do I need to re-register as a sex offender in the state of Nevada due to a retrial by General Courts Martial?

Las Vegas, NV |

I have been retried by a General Courts Martial in this case and found guilty, again. What I did not know the first time around though was the finality of this case and when it may be required to register as a sex offender and or have my tier level lessen. In accordance with The Rules of Courts Martial 1209(a)(1) the conviction is not considered final by the until review and completion by the Navy Marine Corps Court of Criminal Appeals due to 10 USC § 866 - Art. 66. The punitive discharge attached to my sentence which cannot be executed In accordance with 10 USC § 871 - Art. 71. until review and completion by NMCCA. As this case is public knowledge the link is attached. Any additional opinions appreciated.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


see a host of answers to your duplicate question at

BLUF: you have to comply with the state where you are living--see an attorney there. You are considered a convicted sex offender now despite the appeals process remains incomplete.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.


You need to consult a local attorney in your area who is familiar with registration requirements.