Skip to main content

Do I need to re file a new Form I-130, pay the fee, submit the paper and submit a DNA test along with I-130?

Silver Spring, MD |

I have received a letter from Service Center Director that says my visa petition appeal is dismissed. Then on the bottom it say I the petitioner may file a new visa on the beneficiary's behalf that is supported by the evidence necessary to establish eligibility under the immigration laws, including DNA evidence. Does that mean I have to re file the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative and pay the fee that goes along with this form and submit a DNA proof? Thank you for reading my questions and I hope to hear from you soon.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It does appear that you can try again, but I recommend speaking to an immigration attorney first. If your petition was denied the first time, you should consult with someone who can help you figure out how to avoid this happening again, before wasting more of your time and money.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney relationship is created through this information. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions.


Once your appeal is dismissed you have to refile. But see an attorney to figure this out. You were already denied twice. You need help.


I agree with my colleagues. It seems that you can try again, ... but ... please do yourself a favor and call an immigration lawyer first. Many offer free telephone consultations. You have nothing to lose in those circumstances. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.



Thank you for the advice especially with calling an immigration lawyer and see if they offer free telephone consultations. I hope whatever I decide to do work out for me and my dad since I am trying to bring him here from our country.


Yes that means you can re-file. But since it was denied once (including dismissal of your appeal), I strongly recommend that you hire an immigration attorney to handle the process. Because of the previous denial, USCIS will closely scrutinize the new case.

The statement above does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is intended as general information only and it is not a substitute for legal advice. You should consult with a licensed attorney to discuss the specific facts and circumstances of your case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer