Skip to main content

Do i need to include the medical exam when mailing the forms to USCIS for green card based on marriage?

Arlington Heights, IL |

I called the closet civil surgeon to me and he gives appointments after 3 weeks , can i mail the package now and then mail the medical exam later ? and also is it possible that the civil surgeon charges $1300 for the exam !! I called the secretary and just asked how much you guys charge without knowing anything ,she said $1300, I said must be a mistake or something maybe $130, because i asked more than 10 friends and they paid between$ 150-300!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

The sealed envelope with the medical exam for AOS must be submitted along with all required filings in the above. Research the local medical practitioners certified by the U.S. Surgeon General to give such medical exams and select a doctor of your choosing. In my professional experience, such exam does not involve extensive treatment and should not be more than several hundred dollars.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


You need to mail the medical exam with the rest of your I-130/I-485 application. Call around and talk to other civil surgeons - they are allowed to set their own prices and perhaps you can find one with more reasonable prices.

This general advice does not create an attorney-client relationship.


The I-485 must be filed with the medical exam.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer