Skip to main content

Do I need to hire a lawyer for my son?

Concord, NH |

My 20 year old son was arrested recently for 2 charges 1. possesion of a controlled drug and 2 transport of controlled drug. both misdemenor A's. He was honest with the officer and polite. He has never been in trouble with the law. He is a college student and works a part time job about 10 hours a week. The officers found 2 marijuana pipes and an empty baggie of marijuana as well as a tiny amount of mushrooms. My son recently tried drugs for the 1st time and I dont know what to do He is going to hooksett nh distric court on may 8th 2012. I need advice on what to do if he needs a lawyer or not and how to get this possibly off his record if he does a diversion program or goes to jobcorp community service anything if he has a drug related charge he will lose his financial aid for college.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


So you are saying there could be huge negative consequences for him as a result of these charges, but you are wondering whether he needs a lawyer. Absolutely. If he had appendicitis, he would need a doctor. For a criminal case, he needs a lawyer.


Of course he needs a lawyer to guide him through his trouble with the law to get the best result possible.


My office regularly deals with criminal defense cases. We are located in Concord. I would be happy to offer a free 30 minute consultation. 603-223-6613.

As for hiring a lawyer, I echo what the other attorneys said. If if the consequences of a criminal conviction are severe, because your son needs financial aid, then hiring an attorney will give you the best chance at avoiding those consequences. Obviously nothing is guaranteed, and the outcome partly depends on the facts of this case, but generally an attorney will know how to negotiate a plea to avoid a conviction.

All the best,


This is an advertisement for legal services. No commentary on this website is intended to be legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by using this site. Readers are encouraged to call Attorney Buck for a consultation or seek a referral to an attorney by contacting the NH Bar Association at Attorney Buck is online at



Thank you Mr. Buck I will be calling your office today. I have to warn you though im not a rich person so i really need to know what your retainer is but i will take the free 30 minute consult.


Your son needs a lawyer for a number of reasons, the most concerning of which is that "mushrooms" were seized... if the results of analysis by the NH Forensic Laboratory come back positive for the controlled drug psylocybin, this could result in indictment by the Merrimack County Grand Jury for a felony charge. This is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice pertaining to this specific case.
My office is in Concord, I have 17 years criminal defense experience and 90percent of my caseload are criminal cases. I offer a 30 minute free consultation.
Ted Lothstein 603-513-1919

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer