Skip to main content

Do I need to have a potential job offer to apply for a J-1 waiver of the 2 year home country requirement?

Minneapolis, MN |

I recently applied for a waiver of my J - 1 Research visa . I am subject to the 2 year requirement based on the skills list . One of my reasons , was that I was not funded by any government or international organization . I got into this J - 1 position because that was the only job offer I had after completing graduate school with an F - 1 visa . I've never been on a J visa prior to my current status ( expires 07 / 2013 ) . I did not have a job offer when I sent in my waiver application but I hope to get this 2 year requirement waived in order to adjust my status to LPR . Does DOS / USCIS consider a potential job offer ( e . g . H1B ) in making a determination whether to recommend a waiver ? What do you think are my chances based on this information ? Have you had success with a similar situation ? Thanks very much .

I'll be getting married to my US citizen fiancee soon after.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No you don't need a job offer for the waiver.

But, you need to stay legal.

What makes you think you will qualify for LPR?

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.



I'll be getting married to my US citizen fiancee soon.



Thanks again for your input


No, but need to stay legal. Definitely consult with a local immigration lawyer. I’m sorry, but my firm only handles personal injury cases.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755



Thanks for your input.


Waiver is based on hardship or public policy or both.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer