Skip to main content

Do I need to have a lawyer to protect myself against false claims

Brunswick, OH |

Recently a neighbor has sent an e-mail to my home, my wife's work and several neighbors falsely accusing me of trying to kiss her then 13-year old daughter 4 years ago. This claim is completely false and I have spoken to two neighbors that have a total of 6 daughters and they have listened to the facts and believe that the story is complete "bs" fabricated by a spiteful, spoiled 17 year old trying to save her mother's third marriage. The neighbor with 2-10 year olds and a 13 year old state that he and his wife would have no issues leaving their children with me and my wife. The other neighbor has a 14 year old that just laughed at the claim and his 18 and 19 year old state that nothing ever happened. Reportedly a police report was filed and I just want to know how to protect myself.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Have your attorney send a cease and desist letter to the parents.


Sometimes bringing something up from 4 years ago breaths new life into it. Should you choose to retain an attorney he/she can work on this for you.


You should not treat this situation lightly. I suggest that you not discuss this matter with anyone other than an attorney. If the police contact you, exercise your right to remain silent. I suggest that you retain criminal defense counsel now so that if and when you are contacted, as you may well be, you can refer the police to your attorney and decline any comments to them. Even if you don't have an attorney retained when the police contact you, refuse to speak with them and retain an attorney.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer