Skip to main content

Do I need to have a copy of my form I-94 to apply for a U.S. green card.

Chicago, IL |

I lost my form 1-94, but I have my original plane ticket and stamp in my passport.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


If you have a stamp in your passport showing that you were inspected and admitted, than the I-94 is not necessary. It's still important to make sure that you qualify to apply for the I-485 otherwise.

[This answer is for general purposes only; it does not constitute advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.]


No, assuming your entry can be verified with certainty by other means.

This communication should not be construed to create an attorney client relationship. All information provided is for general informational purposes only. You should not rely on any general information provided to make important legal decisions affecting your life and you should instead consult with an attorney. During any private consultation, a competent attorney will review your particular situation, research the specific legal provisions that apply, and create an individualized case plan for you and your family.


The entry stamp in your passport is enough to establish that you entered the country legally. However, if your status has expired, you may not be eligible to adjust status, unless you are the spouse, parent or child of a U.S. citizen. You should consult with an immigration attorney to determine what avenue you should pursue to process your green card.

The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It should not be relied upon in making legal decisions or assessing your legal rights or risks. Neither does the herein reply create an attorney-client relationship.


You should be OK.

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.


Yes, you need to request the original I-94 evidence of your lawful entry by filing I-102 which may take up to three months.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois 773-562-8602