Skip to main content

Do i need to go consulate for visa again

Edison, NJ |

I had been in US for 4 yrs and did my Master and worked on H1B and came to India and went for visa stamping and got h1b visa stamped till Oct 2015 but i haven't went back to US as my employer havent paid me 2 months salary later on he revoked the petition and recently a new employer had filed my H1B and i got the approval do i need to go to counsulate again for visa or i can travel on my previous visa

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

Old valid visa is good for travel.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.


Need new visa. It's employer specific.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


If your current H-1B was approved and a new I-94 card was issued you will be fine to stay in the US without issue in accordance with the I-94. However if you travel abroad, you will need a new H-1B stamp to re-enter the US. This can be obtained in India or in a 3rd country if your current immigration lawyer believes your case will be reviewed and not deferred to your home country. Many no issue H-1B stamping interviews are conducted in Canada for example. However each consulate has its own rules on 3rd country national visa stamping and each reserves the right to send you to the US embassy or consulate in your home country.

Talk to your employers immigration attorney to see how things stand.

Representing clients throughout the US and around the world: (513) 549-4420. We cannot provide legal advice or recommendations unless you retain our law firm to represent you. No attorney/client relationship will begin until you sign a representation agreement and make a retainer payment to open a case with us. Any information found here is general in nature and should not be relied upon in individual cases.


Apply for new visa.


You need a new visa. H1B visas are employer specific.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer