Skip to main content

Do i need to get a lawyer? But can't afford one.

Canada, KY |

I'm charged for theft by my employer. I was approached by a security P.I. and and made me fill and signed forms stating that i was guilty and signed for paying merchandise with my pay and 4%. My intention wasnt to steal, i was planning on paying the following day that I got approached by the P.I. I'm 31, and have have 2 kids (6 and 1) and wife at home, and depend on me to support them. Now I dunno what to do. Do i wait until I get to court to talk to a counsel, or should i find a free lawyer?

Thank You


I did a typo, I'm not from canada kentucky, I'm from ontario canada

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You need to contact a Canadian lawyer that practices criminal law. Theft is a crime and it has long term consequences if convicted. If you can't afford a private attorney you will need to ask the court to appoint you a defender at the first court date, if you qualify. I don't practice law in Canada so I don't know your criminal procedures. Good luck.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


Theft is a criminal offense that could result in serving active jail time under Kentucky law. As such, you should consult a criminal defense attorney near you immediately to discuss your case and any possible defenses or suppression issues you may have. In Kentucky, only the Judge can appoint a public public defender.

Any responses to legal questions posted in Avvo Q&A, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and Carol L. Risk. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information. You understand that questions and answers or other postings on the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer