Skip to main content

Do I need to get a dissolution or annul my marriage?

San Diego, CA |

I "married" my husband five years ago in Nevada, only to find out his divorce hadn't gone through yet (he also gave a fake ss#). I figured my marriage wasn't valid, so I suggested we get married again (this time in CA, our home state). Now, he served me with divorce papers... he stated a "dissolution of marriage". Is that correct?? Or is it an annullment? Also, which date do I use (marriage date in NV or CA). I'm so confused... Thank you for your help.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If you really got married in CA AFTER his divorce went through you need a divorce in CA. If you did not get married in CA or his divorce is not yet final, you want to annul the NV marriage.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.