Skip to main content

Do i need to file that i got in a car accident to the dmv if there was no police report or any ticket/ citation issued?

Long Beach, CA |

I recently got in a car accident and i was at fault. There was an officer to help, but no police report and i didn't get a ticket or anything close to it. I exchanged information with the others that were involved. The police officer asked if there were injuries and there were none. One of their insurance company called me and said that i have to report it to the dmv. My question is what do i do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Review the terms of your insurance policy to ascertain whether this is required.

Richard Andrew Harting

Richard Andrew Harting


You are required to file if $750 of property damage or any bodily injury as a matter of law.


You must file a report if there was injury or death or property damage in excess of $750, which is pretty easy to have these days - even a scratched bumper can get you past that threshold. You can file the report yourself - you can get the form on the DMV web site - but you should be reporting this accident to your insurance company and they may file the report for you.

David Lee Fiol

David Lee Fiol


By the way the report is called a SR 1.


If over $750.00 in property damage to any vehicle or injury or death - if so required to file SRI form with the DMV

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


If your damages to your vehicle or property exceed $750 dollars or if someone was injured then you must report the accident to the DMV. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.


There were no injuries, but there is probably property damages in excess of $750. which requires submittal of the DMV's SR-1 form. This form takes about 5 minutes to prepare and you have most of the necessary paperwork as you previously exchanged information with the others that were involved. The form can be found at the following link:

Please note that the DMV requires that the form be completed and submitted within 10 days after the accident. Hope this helps.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


The requirement to report auto accidents to the DMV varies by State. Usually the requirement to file depends on the amount of property damage or whether or not anyone has claimed an injury. Call your local DMV office and inquire about the requirement in your State. If you must file, there will be a state form that you should use. Ask your DMV to provide it to you.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer