Skip to main content

Do I need to file I-212 and I-601 at the same time to the same place?

Simi Valley, CA |

Was deported 1 year ago. When I was being held in jail after drunk in public misdemeanor they mentioned that I had already been ordered to depart the country. Married US citizen wife in my country, been married for 1 year. Filed forms I-130, I-129. After waiting for a whole year they finally mention that they cannot process the the forms above until they receive and approve the I-601.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No one I know would even attemp to do a competent I-601 Waiver pro se. It is like attempting to pull your teeth expertly by yourself. Retain a good counsel.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602



Ok, thanks! How can I compare one lawyer to another. How do I chose? Specially since I cannot meet with them, only my wife in the US. Around how much should I be looking to spend up until I get to go back to the states? Approximately?


I-212 and I-601 may be filed together. You will have to pay separate fees and these two forms may require different sets of evidence. Although I-212 is commonly referred to as a waiver, it is not exactly a waiver, but rather a request for permission to apply for admission. Please seek advice of an attorney to determine what kind of waiver(s) and how many you need before you submit anything.

Nothing in this post shall be construed as a legal advice. If you need advice regarding your particular situation, please contact my office directly. This information is transferred without an intent to creat an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues.

IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer