Skip to main content

Do I Need To File For PLIGA After Being Struck As A Pedestrian?

Northfield, NJ |

My girlfriend was struck by a vehicle in a parking lot. She is uninsured and has no driver's license or vehicle, and she does not live with any relatives. The police department, doctors, and her medical insurance company say to go through the driver's insurance company to pay for the medical bills . She is disabled and on SSD. Her medical insurance company is aware of the situation and said they will direct all bills accrued to the driver's insurance. At the neurologist's office today they verified with her insurance company that they are submitting it through the driver's car insurance since he was issued citations. The driver's insurance company says that it all needs to go through PLIGA, is this true or is his insurance company trying to give us the run around?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Whenever you sustain injuries and don't retain a personal injury lawyer, you are going to have problems. Without a lawyer, she'll either #1. Get no money or #2. Get a tiny nuisance settlement. Get a personal injury lawyer to obtain the maximum possible compensation.


She should immediately consult with an experienced NJ personal injury attorney before she damages her own claims.

In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.


Without knowing any other facts, my answer is that her situation appears to be that NJ PLIGA would pay. An attorney will request payment from all sources possible because there could be exceptions.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


PLIGA benefits have numerous eligibility requirements, but also include a short deadline to notify PLIGA of a potential claim. Typically, in most car accident/pedestrian accidents, you have 2 years to file a claim against the other driver’s car insurance, but with PLIGA the initial notice of claim must be filed with 180 days of the accident, so you need to get to an attorney, discuss the case with that attorney, and have that attorney send in the required notice, assuming one is necessary. There is a very high likelihood that PLIGA will have to pay these bills

Each case is fact sensitive, so all answers should be viewed as general advice only, and should never replace a thorough and in depth consultation with an experienced attorney. Further, an answer should not be seen as establishing an attorney-client relationship.


Most likely your girlfriend will have to submit a claim to PLIGA, which must be done, including the completion of PLIGA's own application form, within180 days. The striking driver's insurance will defend any claim your girlfriend may bring for pain and suffering etc. If you have any other questions, feel free to call me at 1-855-Joe-Legal. Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer