Skip to main content

Do I need to file DS160 forms using old passport that doesn't have a last name or new passport where the name is split?

Hoffman Estates, IL |

My wife who is my dependent does not have a Last Name in her passport and I am planning on splitting the name in her passport to have a first and last name.
Approval notice I797 and visa were approved per her current passport that does not have a last name.
If I were to go ahead and split her name and obtain a new passport from Indian embassy, which passport should I be using to fill the DS forms when I go for H1B stamping?

Appreciate your response,

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration US visas
Attorney answers 4


Use hte most current valid passport


Use the passport that is valid at the time.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues, you would fill out the form based upon the name listed on the currently valid passport at that time. For interview, your wife should bring both the current and prior passports as well as all other standard evidence required for visa issuance.

This information is provided as a courtesy based upon the limited information provided in your post and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


Use the passport you plan to present at the interview for the visa.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.