Skip to main content

Do I need to file a police report?

Marion, IL |

I was driving and was turning to get onto the highway. The car in front of me didn't have her turn signal on so I slowed down; I didn't know whether she was turning into the gas station or turning onto the highway as well. I tried to slow down, I had the pedal to the ground and my brakes didn't work. I think I hit her going about 8-10 mph. The screws on my license plate took off paint on her car and that's it, my car is okay. She didn't want to call the cops and she said he brother was a cop so it wasn't a big deal. I've never got into an accident and I'm completely ignorant as to what to do. I gave her ex husband my insurance information and everything I could think of. They didnt give me anything nor have they contacted my insurance. What should I do?

I contacted my insurance agent as soon as the accident happened. The other party did not want to involve authorities and I was completely ignorant to the procedure of a car crash at the time of the incident. I did not get the other parties info; I gave her (ex?) husband all of mine. Do I just tell the police I have no knoweledge other than the car make and model, where her (ex) husband works, and what she looks like?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Just to be careful, file a police report and get a copy.

In addition, report this to your car insurance company. They will take care of everything for you.

Fortunately, no injuries and no major damage.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.



I called my insurance company immediately. They're waiting for her to call them because I recently switched from progressive to geico. I looked on the DMV website and it said a report didn't need to be filed if the damage was under $1500;I'm not sure of the truth to that. Since she hasn't contacted my insurance, I don't know what was done. I feel like something is wrong with the situation and I don't want to be sued or framed for a hit and run.

Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Stephen Laurence Hoffman


I meant file a police report with the city or municipality. You probably don't need to file one with IDOT, but the desk sergeant should be able to instruct. Good luck.


I agree with Mr. Hoffman. Its better to get on record early as to what actually happened. That way, if the other party begins to change their story the facts have been recorded. I would also agree that you should report it to your insurance company. best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


Always report every accident to the police and your insurance company, or it will come back to bite you.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer