Skip to main content

Do I need to dissolve joint custody of my child with a grandparent now that I'm married?

Lawton, OK |

I had my daughter when I was a minor, and got joint custody with my mother so she could receive health insurance. I am now nearing 30, married, and have a stable home life. My mother has tried to threaten to take my child from me using the joint custody agreement unbeknownst to me, so of course, I want to remove her. Do I need to do this? Does the custody agreement still stand now that I'm an adult and married? I doubt she will dissolve it willingly, what does that entail? Thank you in advance for any advice you may give.

This was in 2003, and we're a military family, so I'm no longer in the state nor in contact with the lawyer that was consulted at the time - I should also add that my mother no longer resides in the original state either. I'm very much a part of my daughter's life, I don't live with my mother or anything, and my child's physical, financial, and emotional needs are taken care of by myself and my husband. My child has been living with her grandma since the summer per her request, but just asked to come home, and many things have come to light. One such being that she thought to use the joint custody agreement to "make things hard for me" after a decision to let my daughter visit her biological father during the summer. She shouldn't have grounds to take my daughter from me, but I don't want to risk her using my child as a means to be vindictive, either. I thank you all for your counsel and will seek legal advice locally.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I'm presuming you either had an appointed counsel or retained counsel of your own at the time the agreement was entered. If he or she is still in practice in your community, request a consultation. If no longer in practice, sitting down with a family law attorney in your area for a consultation, with a copy of the paperwork from when you were a minor, could be very productive for you.


Unfortunate situation that happens more than you think. You'll need to get an attorney to modify it court. My hope is you kept active in your daughter's life over the years.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer