Skip to main content

Do I need to contact a med malpractice lawyer? I was diagnosed last week with a preferated colon. It was at a colonic irrigati

Atlanta, GA |

Colonic irrigation was administered at a wellness Center. I felt the pain immediately. It occurred at 2pm. I was kept there until 9pm. I was told I had a blockage that needed to come out. Long story... I was denied medical help. Was driven home after waiting several hours in excruciating pain. I stayed home for three days on painkillers thinking i would be better once the blockage passed. I went to the ER on monday because the pain was unbearable and thought this could not be due to a blockage. Discovered preferation of colon. I was treated with massive doses of antibiotics and released after a week. Still not feeling well and I see the GI on Tuesday. I'm petrified I may need surgery. Do I have a case against wellness Centre? I was denied medical help.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

First: I know someone who died from colonic perforation as a result of a tummy tuck. Make absolutely sure you are getting the care you need to assure that condition has been remedied. The perforation results in the digestive juices from the colon getting into the abdominal cavity and they begin to digest your organs. Sorry to be graphic, but I want you to understand how serious the condition is.
A medical malpractice case depends on being able to show the health care provider committed some act of "professional negligence" meaning their performance fell below the standard of care and skill ordinarily practiced in that type of procedure.
My firm and affiliates handle cases of medical malpractice if, after consultation, we believe you have a case worth pursuing. (By this I mean that we can't assume every error in health care services amounts to medical malpractice or triggers liability; it is more complicated than that.) If you will comment on my answer with your contact info, I can get back to you and we may be able to evaluate your situation.
Meanwhile, make sure you are under some competent doctor's care who understands the extent of your injuries and is providing the right treatment. It sounds like your week of antibiotics did the trick, but there's still the issue of what damage was done before you got treatment.

Alisa Ann Lukasiewicz

Alisa Ann Lukasiewicz


Contact me at We can text or email - obviously there is more to this story. It may give you more information to consider.


You should have this reviewed by an experienced malpractice attorney. Based on the facts you've given I would question whether the perforation should have occurred and whether it should have been diagnosed before discharge. Both are possible claims. First make sure you are getting appropriate care.

This answer is provided as a public service for informational purposes only. Providing this information does not create an attorney-client relationship. As with all legal matters, you should contact an experienced attorney in your geographical area to discuss the law specific to your state. For more information, see


Possibly. You need to follow up with the GI doctor and see what he/she says and then consult with an experienced GA medical malpractice attorney.


Have a local medical malpractice lawyer review your medical records to investigate


You most certainly need to contact an attorney who handles medical malpractice cases. I am so sorry to hear about your injury, but unfortunately, many people have been injured in the exact same way. Colonic irrigation is known to cause perforated bowels and, oftentimes, surgery is required to fix the problem.
The wellness center and its employees may well have committed medical malpractice by causing the perforation and by failing to immediately treat the injury. Professionals, including medical providers, commit malpractice when they fail to fulfill the duty of care owed to their patients. Whenever you are injured as a result of professional malpractice, you may be entitled to compensation for (1) medical bills, (2) lost wages, (3) pain and suffering, (4) any permanent injury or disfigurement, and (5) inconvenience and loss of enjoyment of life. You may also be entitled to “punitive” damages, which are intended to punish a person for acting in a way that endangers others.
It is great to hear that you are seeing a gastroenterologist tomorrow. The first and most important consideration is getting whatever medical attention you need. If you do not have health insurance or the means to pay for medical care, a personal injury attorney may be able to help you see a doctor. For example, I have relationships with several local doctors and have been able to arrange for my clients to obtain medical treatment at no cost to them, with the understanding that the client will reimburse the treatment providers once the case settles or we win at trial. Make sure to follow up with the doctor as necessary, for two reasons. First, and most importantly, follow up visits will ensure that your body heals properly. Second, people (claims adjusters, attorneys, and even jurors) are often suspicious of those who claim to be injured but fail to follow their doctor’s treatment plan.
Your next step should be to consult with a personal injury attorney who has experience handling medical malpractice cases. An initial consultation is free, and an attorney will be able to evaluate the specific facts of your case. While it can seem bewildering, an experienced attorney will know exactly what to do so that you can get all the help that you need. In the meantime, please do not speak to anyone in person or over the phone about the incident without an attorney present. Insurance adjusters and people associated with the wellness center are trained to minimize the damages an injured party can recover and may try to get you to admit fault. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery, and I would be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer