Skip to main content

Do I need to contact a lawyer?

Davison, MI |
Attorney answers 7


Is your mailing address up-to-date with the Secretary of State? Call the Court and see if they have any case files listed under your name. The Court will likely send the Notice to whatever address you have listed with the Secretary of State, so if that address is no longer valid, I would kindly recommend you update it ASAP. Good luck! Warmest regards, Matt Catchick


You should absolutely contact an attorney. While it is not unusual that charges haven't reached the court yet, an attorney needs to do certain things right away to make sure that evidence is preserved. Mainly, a good attorney will FOIA video evidence from the squad car and above the datamaster. This video evidence is usually the best evidence that can be used to refute what an officer says and get a charge dismissed or won at trial.

-Attorney Scott Aaronson
Always Free Consultations
877-I-CAN-WIN (24/7)
Direct: 248-956-1165


You can hire an attorney pre-charge to check the status of any pending warrants on a daily basis, or you can save the cash and contact the court yourself directly every day or two to determine if / when a warrant has been issued.

If blood was drawn as a result of the arrest, it could take one or several months before the bloodwork comes back from the Michigan State Police Crime Lab. The Prosecutor's Office likely won't press forward with charges until that bloodwork comes back.

The Prosecuting Attorney has six years from the date you were stopped to bring charges in this matter according to the relevant Statute of Limitations. So, don't operate under the false assumption that this will simply go away if a couple months rolls by.

At the end of the day in an OWI matter, it would be wise for you to consider consulting directly with a local criminal defense attorney on your pending matters.

Best of Luck.

An Attorney-Client relationship has not been established. Becket J. Jones is not your attorney. In order to protect your interests, you should engage with and retain a competent criminal defense attorney who practices often in the court you are scheduled to be in front of if you have been (or believe you will be) charged with a crime in the State of Michigan.


Yes, Yes and Yes, you need a lawyer. This is a serious charge requiring a serious response. You will be charged it is just a matter of time. I suggest calling the court every 2 to 3 days around 3pm which is typically when the work flow at that court typically slows down. Ask for the criminal division. If another whole week goes by then I'd suggest maybe calling the Novi City Attorney's office.


Get an attorney ASAP as the courts do not always notify the defendant of charges. Far too often have I seen someone get hauled to jail after a simple traffic stop for a warrant they did not know about.


Absolutely contact a lawyer. Look for one that does a lot of DUI/OWI cases in your area. You don't want to miss any deadlines for appearing for an arraignment or anything.


I would say it is unusual for the court to take that long. Hire a criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible. Your lawyer will call the court clerk to check for a warrant on you. Good Luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer