Skip to main content

Do I need to apply for the Certificate of Citizenship for I-130?

Redwood City, CA |

I was born in NY, and I have my Certificate of Birth Registration.
I'm filing I-130 for my wife. Do I need to apply for the the Certificate of Citizenship to meet

What document do you need to show that you are a U.S. citizen?
(2). A copy of your naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship issued by USCIS or the former INS.

Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Certificate of Birth.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Use Birth Certificate to show you are a citizen by birth.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.


As you were born in the US, you are not eligible for a certificate of citizenship. You must either use your birth certificate or your US passport.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Send a copy of your birth certificate as evidence of USC.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.