Skip to main content

Do I need original birth certificate for marriage base green card interview?

Virginia Beach, VA |

I have only copy of the original birth certificate and original translation of the birth certificate, would that be a problem?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The I485 application could be filed with the copy of the birth certificate and the translation but you should try to obtain the original birth record or a certified copy of the record from the office in your country that issues these. The examiner can request the original or a certified copy at the time of the interview. Sooner or later you may need the birth record for other purposes so it would be best to work on obtaining it now.


In almost all interviews, the USCIS officer asks to see original birth, marriage or divorce certificates. Get it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Scott D. Pollock


The original document must be brought to your I485 Adjustment of Status interview. Because the USCIS will compare the copy with exemplars of birth certificates from your country of nationality, it is not advisable to file adjustment with one version and then bring a non-matching original to the interview. This can cause delay. The copy you file your adjustment with should match the original you bring to interview.

Feel free to take advantage of our Free 30 Minute Consultation to get the reliable advice you require. You can schedule your appointment by clicking on the BOOK NOW button on our website: and choose Option 1. The link below will also take you to the appointment scheduling system. We would be happy to work with you so that you can make an informed decision on how to proceed.