Skip to main content

Do I need lawyer to secure my custody case at mediation before final hearing feb 14?

Riverside, CA |

I started Pro-per and was granted emergency hearing and Respondent DID A NO SHOW judge granted me temporary sole custody till mediation jan31st this month then final hearing feb 14. I Know respondent Lawyered up so should I do the same?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes. If Respondent is represented, you would be out-lawyered unless you retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to advise and represent you. Ask friends and relatives for referrals to Family Law Attorneys they had good experiences with. Contact local AVVO Family Law contributors. Go on the State Bar Specialization website to search for Riverside county Certified Family Law Specialists. Interview a few lawyers before choosing the one in whom you have the most confidence.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Always a good idea, especially when the other party has counsel.


It is always a good idea to be represented by a competent local family law attorney in a custody hearing, especially if the other party has legal counsel. Unfortunately, many judges look first to the attorney to explain things and so, if you do not have an attorney, you might be at a disadvantage. Good luck!


It is good practice to hire an experienced attorney to represent your interests, especially when the other party has "lawyered up". You may want to retain an attorney that has an impeccable reputation with that particular court. Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer