Skip to main content

Do I need an immigration lawyer to prepare my documents before Visa interview?

Bristol, RI |

Back in February 2011, I was arrested for possession of marijuana in my dorm. I was caught with less than an eight ounces of marijuana. I cooperated with Bristol Police Department and therefore I never set foot on the court. The officer said that my case has been disposed and I have no misdemeanor charges. But the strange part is that every time I re-enter the United States (after being ten finger printed to be more precise), the Custom and Border Protection officers always asked me about my drug arrest record and put me in a room for further. I am currently holding an F-1 visa and I lost it two months ago (it was about to expire anyway). I am have an interview appointment next week at the U.S consulate and I am afraid that I will not get the new visa.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


I edited your practice area from CRIMINAL DEFENSE to IMMIGRATION so some avvo attorneys that practice immigration law might respond. I would recommend that you consult with an immigration lawyer, and maybe a criminal defense lawyer to see if your criminal record exists and how to expunge it or seal it ( if it exists) under RI state law.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Lawrence J. Signore

Lawrence J. Signore


Excellent response Mr. Mascagni.


Definitely. You know you need one.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


It is always good to consult an immigration attorney. Your drug charge will always come up if you made a plea. Contact an attorney

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Yes, yes. Yes. This is exactly the type of situation that may appear of relative insignificance, can become worse than it needs to be.

FORMER USCIS AND DEPARTMENT OF STATE EMBASSY OFFICER -- Khurgel Immigration Law Firm -- 4199 Campus Drive, Suite 550 Irvine, CA 92612. Email: Office: (949) 509-6515 Direct: (949) 535-6331 Fax: (949) 509-6599. Kindly note that this blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is simply an internet blog. Do not rely on information here (which, in my opinion is sometimes dubious) to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Definitely get an immigration law consult in this matter.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia


Diposed does not always mean expunged in Rhode Island. If you would like, you can call my office in Providence at (401) 273 300 for a no charge consultation regarding your criminal matter and your immigration question. If you prefer, we can meet you on the East Bay. We are very familiar with Bristol as 2 of our lawyers attended law school in Bristol.

The opinion above should not be interpreted to be legal advice but rather an opinion. Attorney / Client relationship is not being established by the comments contained above.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer