Skip to main content

Do I need an Immigration Lawyer?

Atlanta, GA |

I am filing to petition a status change for my husband. I am a US Citizen, he entered the country (from Mexico) with a tourist visa. I know I need to file the forms I-130 and the G-325A for both of us. I know the proof that I need to send; Copy of marriage certificate, both of our birth certificates translated, my Naturalization certificate and his passport, 2 passport style pics from each of us and a money order for the amount of $420. Did I miss anything?
I don't want to have any kinds of problems with Immigration but I also don't have the money to hire a lawyer.
Thanks in advanced.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

Yes, you would benefit from having an immigration attorney assist you. For one thing, since your husband apparently entered lawfully, you should be eligible to adjust status and thereby file a 1-step I-485/I-130. As far as money goes, think about it as an investment - yes, immediately speaking the money you will spend will be a greater amount but in the long run you are likely to actually save money because with the expert guidance of an immigration attorney, your chances that things will go smoothly, without unnecessary mistakes and delays, are much quicker and therefore the chances of your husband's ability to work to contribute financially and legalize his status potentially.

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.


Make an info pass at your local USCIS office and ask an officer for a packet.


Filing an immigrant petition does not authorize legal status in the U.S. for the beneficiary beyond the I-94 expiration date. Strongly consider filing the adjustment of status package concurrently with the I-130.

If you cannot retain a lawyer for the entire process, consult with an immigration lawyer to review the paperwork that you have completed and are planning to file with the USCIS.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter, nor should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.


I think you may need to. Since this is not a forum where I can provide legal advice, I cannot get in to the specifics of your case, but I can tell you that you are missing some very important steps in this process that could significantly increase the amount of time it will take for your husband to adjust status and become a permanent resident. It would be a good idea, I think, for you to at least consult with an immigration attorney.

Regards and good luck,

Alex Isbell


There have been many responses to your question, do I need a lawyer. The short answer is the most obvious, you cannot get the benefit of a lawyer handling your case without hiring one. Any advice that you get in this forum will fall very short of what an attorney can do working on your case specifically. If its possible to find the attorney fee, do it. It is usually the best money that you can spend.

This advice is general in nature and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship.


Having an attorney assist you will be beneficial. There is more to the process than filing out the I-130 and attaching documents. Depending on the facts of your case, an attorney can provide invaluable advice on what immigration forms and documents to file together that may result in a faster processing time. Also, having an attorney means having a professional assist you from start to finish. Like my colleague said, consider it an investment. Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer