Skip to main content

Do i need an immigration attorney

Scranton, PA |

I have an F1 visa and i didnt find a school that accept me for the spring session and i am planning to make a surgery my left hip .. can i stay in th US while i have a medical case excuse

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Unfortunately not of you are in violation of your F-1 status by having failed to attend the school which issued you the I-20 with which you were able to obtain an F-1 visa.

Urgently consult with an immigration lawyer in your area to see if he/she can help you file for a change of status to B-2 to remain to undergo surgery.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with my colleague.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Call an immigration attorney and have a consultation asap


Your question isn't very clear. If you never went to school after coming to the USA, then you absolutely need to immediately see a good immigration attorney to try to find a solution. However, if you have until recently been attending classes, have you talked to your school DSO to see if they can help you? In cases such as depression, childbirth, and serious injury the DSO Can authorize a break.

You certainly should go see a good immigration, though, in any event. Once you fall out of status by dropping out of school your options narrow considerably and ICE may seek to detain you, depending on your country of origin and how active ICE is in your area.

Good luck!


Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer