Skip to main content

Do I need an attorney to transfer CA property to myself? Or, is it something I can do myself in Court with relative ease?

Wofford Heights, CA |

My Dad lived alone in AZ, had no will that I know of, had no other assets, or heirs. The property has no house on it, just a few 8x10 sheds. Approx property value $30k

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You need to discuss this with an Arizona attorney. I assumed he died in AZ so Arixona law will apply.

This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.


This answer to how easy this will be will depend upon how title to the real property in Arizona is held. Most likely, you'll need an Arizona probate attorney for this. It is not likely you will be able to do this yourself.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.


I would hire an attorney in AZ to do it for you. You can do it yourself, but mistakes are very easy to make

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.


If there was no will, intestate succession rules apply. You need to go see an AZ Wills&Estate attorney or contact the local AZ court. Before you do all of that, however, make sure that you are certain there is no will.

My answers are not to be taken as legal advice. They are for informational purposes only and based on the limited information that is put forth by the Asker. Moreover, no attorney-client relationship is formed. Should you need legal advice, I suggest consulting a local attorney either by phone or in person.


It sounds like your dad lived in AZ but OWNED PROPERTY IN CA. If that is the case, you can use a summary probate proceeding in CA to transfer the property to you as sole heir. See the attached form and submit it to the court with Form No. DE-315 and you can transfer the property to yourself.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer