Skip to main content

Do I need an attorney to register my business and a trademark?

Pleasanton, CA |

I'm opening an Etsy shop and also have a website that uses the same name. I've had both for several months, along with another similar name I've been using for a few years now. I'd like to protect the logo I designed and use it for both businesses. For now I have a California seller's permit just using my first and last name. But it seems that since I intend to build a brand around my businesses, I may need to register both business names in California and also with the U.S. government. I'm a little wonky on how this process works and need to figure out where to start and what I'm supposed to do. I would be disappointed to learn that my nice logo has already been registered, or worse yet that someone swoops in and copies it, registers it, and then demands that I cease using it. Thanks!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Well, as an individual doing business, there is nothing to prevent you from taking things into your own hands and filing and seeking to prosecute one or more federal trademark applications, as well as doing other pertinent registrations. There is a lot of information available without cost, if you know where to look and want to spend your time searching for it. So all you'd "need" to do is to learn the ropes and hope you get it right.

Yes, just learning to search the various sources of trademark information is a serious task, particularly because in the U.S., federal trademark rights exist concurrently with trademark law as applied in the various states, the latter including not only registrations but also rights that develop pursuant to principles of common law through actual usage.

Alternatively, you could choose to engage an attorney who's experienced in trademarks and working with business startups, whose job will include helping you avoid pitfalls that the uninitiated sometimes fall into. It's up to you to decide how to invest your limited startup funds. But you get by with a little help from your friends, and one trusted advisor should be such an attorney.

This posting is intended for general education and isn't "legal advice." It doesn't create or evidence an attorney-client relationship. You are encouraged to engage an attorney in the pertinent jurisdiction for confidential legal advice on matters of any importance. -Gerry J. Elman, J.D. Elman Technology Law, P.C. Swarthmore, PA


Although you could TRY to do it yourself if you do it wrong then you may be left unprotected . So hire a trademark attorney to do it right.


The law permits you to create, adopt and register a business name and trademark all without any assistance from an intellectual property attorney. But doing so is very unwise.

The above response is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.


Are You Planning on Opening a New E-Commerce Website?

There is much you need to know as you begin your new business. I suggest you do not attempt to write your own legal policies. This is not where your training and background lie, and though you are probably as smart as an attorney, you do not have their experience.

Below is a checklist for legal issues I use for new e-commerce clients.

1. Business Model – Is your idea viable as a web based business?
2. Business entity - Are you going to be a C corp, an LLC or a sole proprietorship?
3. Terms of Service - This is your contract with your visitors and is the most important item for any e-commerce site. A little work here brings big dividends in the future.
4. Privacy Policy - Every e-commerce site needs a privacy policy!
5. FTC guidlines - The FTC has been regulating business advertising for almost a century. All of their advertising guidlines apply to e-commerce sites.
6. Domain Name issues? Is your name available. Can you create a Trademark?
7. Trademark - Do you have a brand name free from conflict? Should you start with just common law rights? Should you register the mark, and when?
8. Copyright - If it is on the web, it already belongs to somebody. Did you buy a license for the images you are using? Do you have a DMCA notice on your web site?
9. Do you need a DMCA policy?
10. Web Site security issues?
11. Do you need and have an EIN? You can get that for free.
12. Do you have employees? - If so you need written policies regarding their authority and use of the internet.
13. Do you know the difference between a "browser wrap" and a "click wrap" and which do you need?

When I discuss this list with clients other issues arise. Finally, I always discuss with my clients their need for good accounting services. An accountant's advice as you start up can save you many dollars in tax that you might not save if you wait to speak to an accountant until your first tax return is due.

I hope this list will give you pause to think about those issues for which you might need to seek professional advice.

You may want to discuss your situation with a lawyer in more detail. Most lawyers on Avvo, including myself, offer a free phone consultation.
Andrew M. Jaffe
Attorney at Law
Practice Limited to E-Commerce and Internet Law

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.


No, you do not need an attorney to register your business or trademark. The USPTO has an excellent online process and help menu. However, protecting your brand name is no something to fool around with and, as you point out, you do not want to be blindsided later on. Going with a knowledgeable attorney who can do the job cost efficiently is recommended.

This is not a legal opinion, and should not be relied upon as such. Contact MARTIN APC at 510-444-7600 with any questions regarding this post.


Your brand will be an important asset for your business's success and growth and therefore your decision to protect it early on, is smart on your part. Many businesses fail to see the importance in their intellectual properties until it is too late/complicated and quite costly. You can take proactive and cost-effective measures now to set a solid foundation to avoid any complicated legal issues in the future and protect your brand.

Although, you can go at it without the assistance of an attorney, it is always best/ wise to seek the advice and assistance of a business/intellectual property attorney for these types of matters. A CA seller's permit does not offer Intellectual Property protection for one's brand. If you are not currently represented by an attorney and wish to discuss this matter, you can reach me at (424) 270-0061 or at for a free consultation. Thank you,

The information and materials provided by SARVEY ASKARIEH on this Website are for informational purposes ONLY and should NOT be relied upon as legal advice, legal opinion or any other professional advice and nor do they constitute legal advice, legal opinion or any other professional advice. Nor does the transmission and/or receipt of information contained on this Website from SARVEY ASKARIEHh FORM or CONSTITUTE an attorney-client relationship with Yevras Law Group (YLG), or its attorney(s) partner(s), associate(s), or consultant(s). Simply contacting SARVEY ASKARIEH via a contact form, email or otherwise will not establish an attorney-client relationship between you and SARVEY ASKARIEH. Also, any transmission of information between you and SARVEY ASKARIEH is NOT intended to, and will NOT create an attorney-client relationship between you and SARVEY ASKARIEH and does not and should not give you a reasonable basis for belief that such a relationship has been established. An attorney-client relationship between YOU and any attorney(s), partner(s) and/or consultant(s) of YEVRAS LAW GROUP (“YLG”) can ONLY be created by the signing of YLG’s written representation agreement. SARVEY ASKARIEH does not guarantee the privacy or confidentiality of any communications sent by you by electronic methods via use of e-mail or contact form on this website. You shall be solely responsible for the security, confidentiality, integrity, and use of all communications that you transmit to SARVEY ASKARIEH via this Website. Without a signed written representation agreement with SARVEY ASKARIEH, unsolicited communications by you to SARVEY ASKARIEH will not be treated as confidential or be protected by any Attorney-Client Privilege and/or offered any protection, regardless if the content is deemed to be privileged, sensitive or confidential. SARVEY ASKARIEH does NOT agree to accept and/or maintain the secrecy of any unsolicited communication you send to HER unless an attorney-client relationship currently exists between YOU and HER.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer