Skip to main content

Do I need an attorney or should I take my medicine?

Savannah, GA |

I was arrested for driving with a revoked license, leaving the scene of an accident (although the other driver was not hurt). Having an open container. And, later, contempt of court. I have a history of 2 felony drunk driving convictions in a different state. If I turn myself in, what is the likely outcome? Jail time...probation...additional time of revocation on my license, etc?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You should post this to the criminal defense section of AVVO, not this one. However, you should speak to a criminal defense lawyer immediately. Good luck.


I agree you should post this on the criminal law question board, but, given the seriousness of the situation, you should talk with an attorney.


You are facing extremely serious charges and need legal counsel. You posted this in a part of AVVO dealing with suing others for car wrecks. I changed the topic to criminal defense.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


Your charges are serious. You should speak with an attorney about your case immediately. The penalties for the charges of revoked license and leaving the scene may carry jail time depending on your history. I would advise you to speak privately with an attorney about your case.

This answer is not intended to be legal advice. This answer is general in nature and does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you wish to create an attorney-client relationship you should contact an attorney and formally discuss the specifics of your case.


If it happened in Georgia, you should talk to a Georgia criminal attorney as soon as possible.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.