Skip to main content

Do I need an attorney or public offender for a indecent exsposure charge?

Upper Marlboro, MD |

I was with a male friend in a dark parking lot we were not having sex but we were making out I was straddle on his lap when the police pulled up and shined their spot light I of course moved off him and sat back in my seat they walked over to the car and asked for both of our ID's and then went back to their car, 45min later they come back with tickets claiming they saw my buttocks which could have been possible I had a skirt on but I had thongs underneath they also claim to have seen his penis that was impossible cause I didnt even see that. what are my options?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Get an attorney. You may have a defense based on the facts and the application of the elements of the statute. Seems like it would be difficult to see what they allege without standing very close to your car. You would think those officers might have better things to do.

This response is based on information provided. Many variables may exist that can only be addressed in an interview. This answer in no way creates an attorney-client relationship.


There is case law that holds that the exposure of the buttocks IS NOT indecent exposure. I remember the court saying something like "if it were, every woman in Ocean City during the summer would be guilty." However, this doesn't mean that the States Attorney won't try to railroad you and make you plead guilty without a lawyer. You should get a lawyer to make sure this doesn't happen.


Consider whether you know enough about the criminal law, procedure, rules of evidence, the prosecutor, and the judge to risk having a permanent criminal record and possibly doing time. There are good and bad attorneys both in private practice and the Public defenders office. However, you do not get to choose you the attorney the public defender appointed for you.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.


It always helps to hire experience counsel when facing a criminal charge.
I can be reached at 301-952-8809


I highly recommend that you hire a lawyer who can assist you with presenting any defense and offering mitigating evidence to the Court if you are found guilty. You are charged with a serious offense and you will want to protect your record.

This is not legal advice and should not be relied upon without a full telephone consultation

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer