Skip to main content

Do i need an attorney for this traffic accident?

Tallahassee, FL |

i was involved in a car accident last night, here in Florida. The other driver rear-ended me at more than 40 mph. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and this morning I woke up in a lot of pain in my neck, shoulders, and head. My fiance (passenger in my car) is hurting as well, but we were told he isn't covered under my PIP (although my son, also in the car, is) and the other driver's insurance company says they do not cover him either. Should I speak to an attorney about my situation?

Also, I was wondering if all "at-fault" drivers are given a citation of some sort.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You should definitely consult an attorney. Your fiancé should be covered under your policy as a household member if he lives with you. If he does not live with you, then he might qualify under the at-fault driver's PIP. Please feel free to give me a call or email me if you would like to discuss this matter further.

Clint Wallace
Scott & Wallace


I am very sorry to hear about your accident. Follow-up medical care is the most important thing at this point. Your no-fault coverage would cover you and your son. Your finance may have his own no-fault coverage if he has a vehicle. I would recommend that you retain an experienced attorney to represent you and to sort out insurance coverage issues. I would suggest you not give a statement to the other driver's insurer until you have retained an attorney. Please let me know if I can assist you further. Good luck to you and your family.


First and foremost it sounds like u need medical attention. Second, from a legal perspective, the driver who does the rear ending is presumed to be the reaponsible party.

Therefore, you may be entitled to money to compensate unfor ur injuries.

More important than money, u better get checked out by a doctor esp bc ur pregnant.

Call me if u would like to hire a lawyer. The initial consultation is free and we only charge a percentage as an atty fee if u win money (costs not included in atty fee).

Law can get comlicated so it is important to hire someone who can represent your interests effectively.



You should absolutely consult a plaintiff's attorney but medical care for you and your passengers should be your top priority. Everyone in your car is covered by your PIP insurance unless they have their own PIP coverage or are covered under someone else's policy (such as a parent's). I would also recommend that you and your passengers seek treatment with a physiatrist if your pain persists, which it probably will after a relatively high speed rear end collision. Please feel free to contact me at my office if I may be of service, 222-9700. Good luck to you.


YES! An attorney can determine if your passenger is or is not entitled to PIP under your policy, OR a policy issued to a family member in the passenger's home. An attorney can help you process your own PIP claims as well as pursue a claim against the adverse driver or your own Uninsured motorist coverage under your policy if you have it, or both.
Ron Slonaker
Ocala, FL

This response is to provide general legal information and does not constitute legal advice nor should it be considered or viewed as forming any sort of attorney-client relationship and such information provided is viewable by the general public.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer